powered by AFI
Norma Productions was a company organized by Harold Hecht and Burt Lancaster (and named after his wife) in 1948 for joint productions. Hecht was listed as company president. Halburt Productions was another company organized by the two men in 1950. Hecht was again listed as president and by 1952, the two companies were housed out of the same office, but continued as independent concerns. According to Hollywood Reporter, nearly three weeks into principal photography, Willis Goldbeck asked to be removed as director of the film, citing differences with Burt Lancaster and Harold Hecht over changes made during production. The Screen Directors Guild later awarded Goldbeck full screen credit, even though the production was completed by Robert Parrish. The film marked the screen debut of Robert Clary. Portions of the film were shot on location in Palm Springs, CA.