- Orson Welles was originally picked by director Roger Corman to play Al Capone, while Jason Robards was to play "Bugs" Moran. Welles was willing, but Fox vetoed the deal, feeling Welles was "undirectable". Robards took over the role of Capone and Ralph Meeker was brought in to play Moran.
- More squib charges were used in this film than in the three-hour war epic _Longest Day The (1962)_ .
- The film came in at $200,000 under budget because Corman reused sets from other movies, including a mansion which served as Capone's home (even though in reality he lived in a modest brick home in a working-class neighborhood).
- The set used as a brothel also served the same function in Fox's Sand Pebbles, The (1966)
- Jack Nicholson was to play the Bruce Dern character, but instead shows up in a bit part as a henchman, loading garlic-soaked bullets into a Tommy gun.
Please support TCMDB by adding to this information.Click here to contribute